Monday, March 24, 2014

Day 24 Question: Why Do They Speak Different Languages in Haiti?

Last Monday I wrote about schools in Haiti and why they speak different languages in the schools.  [Daddy's note: you can read that blog post by clicking here.]

The two main languages that people speak in Haiti are French and Haitian Creole.  French is an official language that was first used in Haiti by slave traders.  When slaves were brought to Haiti they all spoke different languages and they didn't know how to talk to each other so they took some of everybody's language and put it together and made a new language called Creole.  I just learned that Haitian Creole is a different language from French.

Many schools in Haiti are in French but in their houses most people speak Haitian Creole.

I wonder if I go to Haiti if I would be able to understand the teacher.  Probably not!

My brother and sister were spoken to in English and Creole at Children of the Promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment