Thursday, March 13, 2014

Day Thirteen Question: Are There Snakes In Haiti?

I received a great question from a friend and want to use that for tonight's post.  Thank you for the question!

Yes, there are snakes in Haiti.  My daddy saw one when he was in Haiti.  He told me it was called a Haitian Tree Boa.

Join in if you know the song...

Daddy's getting swallowed by a Haitian Boa Constrictor
Daddy's getting swallowed by a Haitian Boa Constrictor
Daddy's getting swallowed by a Haitian Boa Constrictor
And he doesn't like it very much

Oh, no, it's up to his toe (it's up to his toe)
Oh gee, oh gee, it's up to his knee (it's up to his knee)
Oh fiddle, oh fiddle, it's up to his middle (it's up to his middle)
Oh heck, oh heck, it's up to his neck (it's up to his neck)
Oh...he just got scratched Daddy's beard and he went away!

Here's a picture of a Haitian Tree Boa (this was not taken by Daddy):


None of the snakes are venomous but they can still be dangerous.  

We also looked at some pictures of a man who was a snake charmer.  I don't understand why someone someone would want to do this.

Good night!

6 comments:

  1. Cute, I love your song You are doihg a great job
    I am so proud that you are my great niece, your heart is so big

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog. Our family lives here at COTP and I was hoping I could put a picture on here of our son Noah (age 11) with a Haitian boa some guys caught. He and his friends had a interesting time dissecting it to see what it looking like inside! We also have green tree snacks with are really long and skinny and really bright green, and then I have seen one other kind of snake here, which looks a lot like Gartner snakes in the US. None of them very dangerous though…. but you could do a post about tarantulas! We have those, too! :/
    Keep up the great work.
    Oh and if you want pictures of any of the topics you are writing about, you could have your dad and mom send a message and ask if we have them -- we could email them to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is gross! But I would love to post the picture on this blog. We'll do tarantulas soon and I will have my Daddy or Mommy email you.

      Delete
  3. Not many snakes in Haiti as many folks are scared of them and kill them when they find them which is sad as they eat mice and rats. And truth is the mice and rats cause more problems and can make people sick. Thank you for working on this project and teaching folks more about Haiti.

    ReplyDelete